Sunday, April 08, 2007

Jumper

Ever since I was a kid and watched the very underrated (in my eyes) movie Point Break, I've always wanted to skydive. That film had such a terrific skydive sequence that it almost made you forget all about Keanu's "I. Am. An. F.B.I. Agent!" acting.

All throughout my Gameplan years I kept my fingers crossed, wishing for the day to come wherein I would get The Call- Top Gun music playing in the background, producer's voice sounding totally Tom Skerrit: "Gear up Carlo. You're jumping off a plane today."

But it never happened, probably because we couldn't afford it, or there was never really an option in the Philippines that was safe enough (case in point, the plane full of skydivers that crashed recently). And as my term in Gameplan ended, I left with two regrets- 1) that I was unable to dive with Great White sharks, and 2) that I never got to skydive.

Fast forward three years later and I finally got my chance. Of course I had to pay for it by myself (400 big ones), but what's a chunk of change for something that lasts forever? I'm speaking figuratively, as the actual jump lasts for about 10 minutes.

Three days after the jump I am still gurgling at the mouth with overflowing adrenaline and thus lacking in words how to describe it so instead I will let YouTube do the talking:



So there you go. Jumping off a plane 14,000 feet high may seem crazy, but I would do it again in a second. The 45 seconds of freefall is the most amazing feeling, and I'm guessing it's the closest to flying you will ever get.

Now bring on those Great Whites!