Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Wrapped

It's been two days since shooting wrapped. I deliberately took time off from watching the tapes to catch up on sleep, eat, and spend some time with Mel, who was less than pleased to see her apartment turned inside out (unintentionally) by my crew. We took a walk around Watson's Bay and I got to see the edge of Sydney Harbor. Beautiful.



So now I'm back to work (I can never be on vacation mode for too long; I get either guilty or restless), and I'm about to start logging my shots, which I will attempt to squeeze into my new external hard disk (expensive as hell, and its glistening silver sheen should serve as a reminder for me to work harder to pay for it back. Mel has upped and left for New Zealand for 9 days, which means I get the house to myself. I need to start work on my other subjects- Sound Design, Screen Studies, Time Memory and Identity- all have papers and presentations which need to be done. I hate papers. I'd much rather get eyebagged and skinny directing and editing than writing papers.

The shoot was a blast. Four days of setting up, getting shots done, crossing out shots in the storyboard with an orange highlighter (which led to my new production name- allOrange Productions), all in the name of independent filmmaking! And getting a good grade in class.

Shooting just wrapped and already I am thinking about what to do next. I'd like to shoot a smaller, shorter film this time, with me as the cameraman. I wouldn't mind a small crew, 2-3 people, and I want to work with a few of the actors who we didn't cast for Locked. Shoot a film in a day or two, one location (anywhere except my apartment), no lights, minimum dialogue, one to two actors, and that's it. Something lyrical, something visual yet small scale. I know I should be thinking about what topic to write about for my papers, but once I start doing so, story ideas enter my head and I space out. Imagination can be quite stiffling sometimes.