Saturday, September 04, 2004

Birthing pains...

Okay, it's September 4, 2004 and I have 20 days to shoot a short film for my Digital Video class. I've managed to come up with a script called "Locked" and it's loosely based on an experience my girlfriend Mel had with a locksmith. Not THAT kind of experience, you pervs. Mel found herself locked out of her flat one night and had no choice but to call a locksmith at 3am. As he was picking her lock, she couldn't resist asking him: "How does it feel knowing you can enter anyone's life anytime, anywhere?"

And it's true. Locksmiths do have the knowledge and skill to do just that. The idea of a normal person possessing a unique skill (a "superpower" in its own right if you will) intrigued me. What goes on in these locksmith's heads? Do they have a strict code of ethics to follow? Don't they ever wonder what's behind each door they open? And would they be curious enough to find out?

I decided to write a short film based on a common human trait: curiousity.

FRANK MALLOY III is a locksmith. He belongs to a line of distinguished locksmiths who have passed on their trade from generation to generation. Frank has just turned 25, and the reins of the family business have been given to him.

It becomes fairly obvious that the Malloy locksmith genes have waned over the years- Frank III isn’t quite as skilled as his father and grandfather, but he makes up for it with lots of enthusiasm and a sincere dedication to his job.

This doesn’t stop his mind from wandering though. Frank often wonders what his customers’ lives are like: Where do they go? What things do they lock up? Are their lives better than his? Seeing one customer drive off in a sports car seems to affirm this.

Frank’s been taught a certain code of ethics, which we hear periodically via Voiceovers throughout the film. The Voice reminds Frank to never break the Locksmith’s Code- never use your skill to enter other people’s lives.

Despite Frank’s staunch adherence to the Code, he can’t help but sneak a few peeks into his customers’ lives now and then. Perfectly alright, says the Voice, because to be curious is to be human, after all.

One day, Frank takes it too far when he duplicates an unsuspecting customer’s key and enters his flat. It is here where Frank will learn the hard way that some doors are best left unopened…

...So script being done, it's been chosen along with three other scripts to be produced for submission. I've rounded up a crew of seven and pre-production is underway (more on the crew in a future blog).

So far we have started with location scouts. We plan to shoot in apartments around the King's Cross area. The toughest location will probably be the Locksmith Store. It's gotta look as accurate as possible, complete with key duplicating machines and keys hanging from all sides. It'll cost too much to build a set, so finding an actual locksmith store would be the only choice.

Casting. I've managed to attract interest from young professional actors courtesy of the website www.sydneyactor.com. Auditions are next Friday and I am looking forward to meeting these people and finally putting a face to my characters.

Such exciting times. On a personal note, I've found a new part time job as a video assistant for a local video production company. They do corporate videos and post them for video streaming. It's feels good to be able to land a job that puts me back in my element, although I think I'll keep my charity call center job on the side.

Times are hectic, and I've had to time manage like never before. But this is exactly why I came here. It feels good to be waking up and doing projects that I know will only improve my skills as a director. Bring it on.