Friday, April 13, 2007

Storyboarding

I've been storyboarding with more detail than I ever have for The Last One. In my previous films I'd been perfectly content with basic sketches on a notebook. For this particular film I need the boards to help convey the tone and mood I want to the crew. I find that I can only talk and flail my arms around for so much before they all start to space out. But once I whip out the boards and show them, their eyes light up and they all oooh in amazement. Bottom line, storyboards are a great motivational tool. Use them and save your saliva! Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to work with someone like Tam Morris, who is the bloke who has taken on the challenge of turning this:



To this:



To quote a crew member: "Mate, you should just scan these, chuck 'em into Final Cut, put some dialogue and music, boom. There's your film."

And then he took it back when he realized that option would have left him jobless.