Saturday, December 11, 2004

Back Home

Finally back in Manila. After a dramatic scene in Sydney airport involving a lost ticket and my famed absent-mindedness (ticket turned out to be hidden in my wallet), I made it just before Yoyong hit and was able to partake in my once-a-year ritual of wearing a suit for my cousin Bacchus' wedding in Tagaytay. Congratulations cuz!

Here I am with my sisters, my folks, and the unfairly tall guy in the barong is the groom:


Feels good to be back home but I can't deny feeling a slight sense of displacement. First of all, it's weird to not be working at all. If you're a workaholic like me, lying in bed watching pirated DVDs is a luxury which stales quickly. I feel like I should be doing something, anything, just to keep my brain cells working. And watching Dodgeball at home just doesn't quite do the trick.

It's been fun catching up with old friends though. Been playing frisbee again and getting my out of shape ass humbled by people whose ankles I used to break in the past. I'm giving myself a month to get back into my former sporty self. It'll be tough, considering I seem to have taken my Aussie beer-drinking habit home with me.

Things I am enjoying right now:

1) Cable TV. NBA basketball all day and night! Coming from a rugby obsessed nation, it's bliss.
2) Local food. Although I still haven't had tinolang manok. I wonder whose house i can invade for that?
3) "DVDs" from Makati Cinema Square. Heheh.
4) Seeing people I know all over TV and billboards, magazine covers, etc. Fame becomes them, I must say.
5) Local movie trailers. Is it just me, or are local flicks getting (or at the very least, looking) better?
6) My "office." Or as Mel puts it, my "cave." Beats working with my setup back in Sydney.

Things which depress me:

1) How the prices of everything seem to have gone up. Toll. Fuel. Fast Food. A beggar even looked at me insultedly when I
gave him a 5-peso coin. Whu???
2) Traffic. But then again, what else is new.
3) The logging issue. Hello. It took you people just now to figure out that logging is bad?
4) My slow ass internet connection.

Complaints aside, it's great to be back home. Looking forward to going to Bacolod this January.