Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Photo Envy.

I just realized I haven't been taking photos lately. I was reminded by this fact when I took in an exhibit by Max and Rex Dupain at the Museum today. The Dupains are father and son who share a love for photography and are pretty much considered to be the most prominent Australian photographers of all time (Max apparently is a legend). Their pictures show why. I was moved by their photos, how they evoked a sense of nostalgia even when some were taken as recent as 2003. There is really a quality about black and white film which displaces a sense of immediacy and takes you somewhere else, like the waning images of a memory or a news reel archive which used to play in cinemas right before the actual movie showed. The Dupains' work struck me as both- very journalistic/slice-of-life shot in the way the great LIFE Magazine photos used to be and at the same time very haunting, moody, and nostalgic. Their shots in the rain impressed me the most. Made me realize that rainy days shouldn't be an excuse to stay home and not shoot!