Monday, March 21, 2005

Getting ahead of myself. Again.



Here's a screen shot of my latest short film. Of course I haven't shot it YET, this is just one of a series of test shoots I did today with Mel on our balcony. I've been wanting to do a short film that takes me back to my photography roots. When I started taking pictures years ago I found myself veering more to black and white rather than colour because I saw more 'truth' in monochrome images. There's something so stripped down about them, almost sad in a way, like they belong in the back of your head as part of a memory. To this day the photos I remember have mostly been black and white. So for my film I wanted to do something nostalgic and melancholic- a piece about dealing with loss and coming to terms with oneself. I'm planning to shoot a story that's not as linear as 'Locked' and it will be much more experimental. More visual, less narrative. I think doing this will be good for the little Michel Gondry wannabe festering inside me screaming "Lemme out! Lemme out! Let me do something artsy and French!"