Saturday, November 06, 2004

I’d like to thank the Academy…

…of teachers and semi-drunk audience members who voted ‘Locked’ as the Best Digital Short Film of the semester.



I was a bunch of nerves the whole day. Went with Clara, the film’s sound designer, to Uni early to scope out the theater where the films were to be screened. We were met at the entrance by the security guard known as Mullet Man (think toothless Chris Cooper in Adaptation meets Hasselhoff hairdo in Knight Rider. Shudder.) who promptly shooed us away because we were too early. Well excuuuuse us for being enthusiastic.

At 6:30 we returned and the theater was packed with students, families, and friends, all of which were unabashedly biased towards their mate’s film (wish I had a posse of my own to hoot and holler at my film, but thankfully, the crowd did just that). As expected, the film was dark, considering the fact that I fixed it up in Final Cut, it still looked muddy. Atmos dropped off strangely in some parts, and I resigned myself to just laying back in my seat in shame, cup of wine comforting me (kudos to Uni for providing good vino, the better to intoxicate the audience into making them think our films were any good).

My film was up first, and God, nothing really prepares you for watching your blood sweat and tears on a big screen. It’s almost akin to the sensation of being naked actually. Not that I’ve ever streaked in public, but in putting a film up on screen, you’re subjecting it to analysis, scrutiny, and even ridicule. Part of you wants to crawl up and die, another part wants to stand up and look around to see how the audience is reacting. It’s good no one’s phone went off during the screening, or I would’ve ripped that person’s head off!



After the screening. Applause. WARM applause. A few “whoo-hoos!” even! Quite a nice change from the “polite” applause I got from the initial rough cut screening at class. Despite it’s flaws, I think the audience got the story. They laughed at the “That’s a hundred forty dollars” line, squirmed at the “love tape” scene (YESSSS…), and laughed knowingly at the film’s end, when Frank gets another customer’s key. Then credits…and applause, which lasted for like fifteen seconds, but let me tell you, those fifteen seconds made the months of hard work I put into Locked all worth it.

Some other films were pretty good too. Since mine screened first I figured that its impact would eventually be forgotten as the other films played (thus reducing its chances for getting voted for Best Film), but I guess it resonated long enough for the audience and faculty to vote for it afterwards.

I know, I know, it’s just some stupid student film award. But for now, allow me to enjoy this guilty pleasure just a little bit. I’m certain I’m not into filmmaking just so I can meet and shag famous actresses, nor is money a governing force. I love making films because I JUST DO, I think I’m getting good at it, and if people at school liked what I did, then dammit, I’ll take it.

I won an award for Best Editor too. And Caroline took home Best Producer. Here we are at the pub celebrating:



The rest of the Locked Crew: Ayush, Me (writer/director/editor), Clara Rolls(sound designer), James Hall (camera assistant), and Martin Yap (assistant director). Not in photo are Caroline Schmidt (producer), Sharon Yi (costume and props), and Henry Minter (D.O.P.).