Sunday, May 29, 2005

Lightsaber Haggling



3/4 done with Blinding. So far have been blessed with good fortune, i.e. no rain. My shoot was so dependent on weather that i was ready to sacrifice virgins to appease the rain gods. Blue, cloudless skies all weekend and I think it really shows in the rushes- rich blues, good skin tones. Am impressed with the Panasonic DVX100, although the focus ring leaves much to be desired.

Photo above is from a scene in the film. The actress' name is Crystal, a Vietnamese-Australian 8 year old girl who was just the easiest person to work with. Got her takes down in 2 or less, and she was outta there in an hour. The "never work with animals or children" filmmakers rule is definitely beyond this little girl.



This is me and Matt Foster (the film's lead) with Crystal and her family. Her sister Phoebe (beside her) was- get this- one of the young Padawan Jedi kids in Attack Of The Clones.

Me (trying to sound cool): You were in Episode 2?
Phoebe: Yes.
Me: Did you get to meet George Lucas?
Phoebe: Who?
Phoebe's Mom (to Phoebe): The bearded guy.
Phoebe: Oh. Yeah I did. Also Ewan.
Me (starting to geek out, but still playing it cool): That's great. So did you get to keep your Jedi costume?
Phoebe: No.
Me: Oh. That's a shame.
Phoebe: The bearded guy gave me a lightsaber though.

Long Pause. I let the moment sink in.

Me: A...lightsaber?
Phoebe: Yes.
Me: If I were to trade you this instamatic camera in my pocket for it, would you?

Phoebe looks at my one of my props, a rainbow coloured generic instamatic camera (appropriately branded 'Acme'), and for a moment, she actually seems to consider the deal. 'C'mon' I think, 'let the rainbow colours hypnotize you!'

Phoebe: No thanks.
Me: Oh well it was worth a try. So, what do you think of my short film?