Thursday, August 30, 2007

Getting excited...



The more I throw myself into this script the more I feel my heart thumping a little faster than usual. After a whole month and a half of just shooting tape after tape and not really being sure whether I had enough material for a film, sitting down in my desk here in Sydney and watching the rushes and reading the interview transcripts has given me some sense of calm. I think I have a story here.

Nike has pulled out all the stops by advertising the hell out of this thing- press releases, online marketing, and tv spots are on the way. Very cool. Apart from being very excited for this film to come out, I also feel very thankful that this presented me an opportunity to not just go back home and touch on my roots, but rekindle my love for basketball. Before Ultimate, mountainbiking, rock-climbing, and all the other crazy ass sports I got myself into during my fitter years, I was a wannabe 5-foot-nothing basketball player first, skipping ROTC with my friends Quito and Monto so we could play some village ball.

My goal for this documentary is to show the world the way Pinoys play the game- with pride and unparalleled joy. I have no intention of making audiences feel sorry for us because of our third world status, rather, I want them to see that despite all our hardships, we find happiness in the simple things in life, and what's simpler than shooting a ball through a hoop?